Mosquitoes feed on human blood. They suck blood based on scent, light, heat and humidity. When mosquitoes bite, we get itching and bumpy skin. Some people who have sensitive skin even feel allergic to mosquito bite. Bacteria and sweat attracted by mosquitoes that cause malaria and others are attracted towards carbon dioxide and hard odours. Mosquito is attracted to persons who talk more, who sweat more, whose blood group is O and who consumes alcohol.
Recipe 1: Lemon eucalyptus oil
Lemon eucalyptus oil taken 32 percent can repel mosquitoes up to 95 percent. Mix one part of lemon eucalyptus oil with 10 parts of sunflower oil or witch hazel. We can even dilute and spray.
Recipe 2: Lavender oil-based
- lavender flowers or lavender oil
We can crush lavender flowers to get oil and fragrance to repel mosquitoes. Just apply some lavender oil in clean cloth and rub it on skin or directly rub some lavender oil in arms and ankles.
Recipe 3: Cinnamon oil based
- 24 drops or ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon oil
- 4 ounces of water
Mixing 24 drops or ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon oil with 4 ounces of water to make one percent solution. Using cinnamon oil directly cause irritation to skin. We can spray the solution to skin or clothing or around house where mosquitoes are seen mainly in upholstery of plants. The solution kills even eggs of mosquitoes and even adult ones.
Recipe 4 : Thyme Oil based
- 5 drops of thyme oil
- 2 ounces of water
We can make a homemade brew using 4 drops of thyme oil mixed with 1 teaspoon of base oil like olive or jojoba oil. If we prefer spray, we can mix five drops of thyme oil with 2 ounces of water and spray it around the areas of mosquito.
Recipe 5 : Greek Catnip oil based
- Greek catnip oil
We can use the extract of catnip oil which belongs to mint family. It has white and pink flowers of 18 iches. But its extract from bruised leaves are used. The oil from the plant can repel mosquitoes two to three hours.
Recipe 6 : Soybean and Lemongrass oil based
- Soybean oil
- Lemongrass oil
Mixture of both soybean oil and lemongrass oil supports repelling many types of mosquitoes. Using any oil in concentrated form is not good for skin. We can make a test by applying little on skin and washing it. If there is no irritation we can go with it.
Recipe 7: Herbs based
- Empty, clean glass jar
- Vodka or witch hazel
- Rubbing alcohol
- Herbs: Mint, eucalyptus, lemon balm or lemon grass, rosemary, lavender, catnip
We can crush the herbs and place in the jar, fill them with alcohol or witch hazel. Leaving ½ or ¾ of the jar empty. Keep the jar in a sunny place for some days. Shake them often, especially before use shake the jar.
Recipe 8 : Essential Oils & herb based
- A spray bottle of 16oz
- Rubbing alcohol, vodka or witch hazel
- Distilled water
- Essential oils
- 10 drops mint oil
- 5 drops rosemary oil
- 5 drops eucalyptus oil
- 10 drops lemon oil
- 5 drops of lavender oil
- 5 drops of clove oil
We can mix ¾ of alcohol or witch hazel with all the essential oils mentioned and distilled water to spray away.
- Mosquito bite when dawn and dusk is present. Some species only bites in whole day. We can use repellent during this peak feeding time of mosquito.
- Dark clothes are interested to mosquitoes so we can use light clothing.
- Remove or drain standing water to avoid mosquitoes.
- Predators like bats, frogs, fish, turtle, birds, dragonflies are best mosquito controllers.
- We can use best herbs to repel mosquitoes like citronella, eucalyptus, rosemary, mint, geranium, marigold, catnips, wormwood, lavender, cedar, tansy, cloves and anise.
- We can plant some herbs in garden. Use some mosquito repelling plants in pots to keep indoor, outdoor areas around home. Dry some herbs and place it in bowl to touch them to get the scent on us to repel mosquito. We can add some essential oil in our washing clothes to act as a repellent.